/ Nir Dagan <nir@nirdagan.com> was heard to say:
| One reason not to do it is that it changes the structure of the
| document. Instead of having the list as a child of a paragraph
| you add an empty paragraph before the list. Although valid, writing
| empty paragraphs is discouraged in the HTML 4.0 spec., and browsers are
| supposed to ignore them (although the current browsers don't).

The problem is that the structure of the document cannot be represented
in HTML. In fact the current output is erroneous as well and browsers
almost certainly (1) imply the </p> before the <ul> and (2) ignore the
(now erroneous) </p> after the </ul>.

| If the purpose of putting a list in a paragraph is to control
| leading (vertical spacing) you could use
|  <ul>...</ul>

If I thought that preserving the original structure was of paramount
importance, I suppose I'd do something like this, but I don't.
The goal is reasonable looking HTML in the browser. You can, after all,
exercise precise control if you want by tweaking your source document.

| the spacing after the list with CSS1.

Why couldn't I add the appropriate property to the <ul> to control
it's space-after?

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | All along the untrodden paths of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | the future, I can see the
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | footprints of an unseen hand.--Sir