Re: DAVENPORT: [Ramses Morales <ramses@computer.org>] docbook question

On 21 Jun 1999, Mark Galassi wrote:

>Hi.
>
>How can I make the page number for the table of contents to be rendered
>in roman numbers?

I've experimented with this also and haven't found a clean solution.
What I've done is add this to jadetex.cfg:

\def\FF{i}

\def\insertPageNumber#1{
        \if\PageNumberFormat\FF
               \if\PageNumberRestart 1
                        \setcounter{page}{1}
                        \roman{page}
                        \global\def\PageNumberRestart{0}
                \else
                        #1\roman{page}
                \fi
        \else
                \if\PageNumberRestart 1
                        \setcounter{page}{1}
                        \arabic{page}
                        #1\arabic{page}
                \fi
        \fi
}

This doesn't really work as it should. If you have a <part> before a
<chapter>, the <part> division will be numbered at the end of the
front matter, but with an arabic folio instead of roman. The problem
only shows up if the <part> title is in the TOC, the page number will
be off by the number of pages in your TOC with the next entry,
probably <chapter> listed as page 1.

That's the best I've discovered so far. Jade's TeX output is difficult
to edit by hand, but since you'll have to do it anyway to make a
production quality book, I'd be inclined to fix that small glitch by
hand.

-- Jay