DAVENPORT: Docbook DTD

I'm new at this SGML fun, and I've looked through all the documentation
I can find, but still have two questions I need to ask. :(

1) Is there anyway I can influence what gets put on the ALT tag of a
Graphic when the SGML is exported to HTML?

(that's the quick one)

2) I need to document the menu system of a window, and I'm unclear what
SGML structure I should use. Currently I have a system something
like this:

    <variablelist>
      <title><menuchoice>
	</menuchoice></title>
      <varlistentry>
	<term><menuchoice>
	    <shortcut>
	      <keycombo>
		<keycap>Alt</keycap>
		<keycap>L</keycap>
	      </keycombo>
	    </shortcut>
	    <guimenuitem><accel>L</accel>oad</guimenuitem>
	  </menuchoice></term>
	<listitem>
	  <para>Yada Yada Yada</para>
	</listitem>
      </varlistentry>
      <varlistentry>
        *ETC*
      </varlistentry>
      *ETC*
    </variablelist>
    <variablelist>
      *ETC
    </variablelist>
    *ETC*

My problem with this structure is that I think it is an incorrect use of
the <menuchoice> tag, from my reading of the documentation, and the
examples, which suggest that
<menuchoice> should specify full instructions for activating the menu
item, IE the complete...

          <menuchoice>
            <shortcut>
              <keycombo>
                <keycap>Alt</keycap>
                <keycap>L</keycap>
              </keycombo>
            </shortcut>
            <guimenuitem><accel>L</accel>oad</guimenuitem>
          </menuchoice>

But that won't fit into a heirachical list, instead the result would be
something like:

File...Load
File...Save
File...Quit