Re: DAVENPORT: sgml2latex for docbook?

>>>>> "JH" == Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:

>>>>> "jfw" == Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@pobox.com> writes:

jfw> tables are broken.  There are some problems with the box entities
[...]
jfw> characters (e. g., " for german).

JH> All problems I had with tables are fixed by now.  Thanks to Norm
JH> and a new jadetex version.  Can you elaborate your problems with

Nice to hear that.  What's the current jadetex implementation I want
to install and where do I obtain it?

JH> characters like "?

Sure, in german.sty near the bottom of the file there is the following:

\def\x{\endgroup
  \def\originalTeX{\mdqoff \let"\dq \umlauthigh
    \let\3\grmn@original@three
    \selectlanguage{USenglish}}%
  \def\germanTeX{\mdqon \let"\@active@dq \umlautlow
    \let\grmn@original@three\3\let\3\ss
    \selectlanguage{german}}}%
\x

This activates some definitions, which are short hands for german tex
users.  This is to the effect that you don't have to write \"a for
those frequent ä-Characters.  There are some more definitions like "`
and "', which set german quote, "s yielding ß etc.  With use of jade
this is not desireable at all.  Only I don't know ho to switch it off
from jade...

BTW: Another problem I have is with adjected -- characters.  People
tend to use those with fixed font environments to make ascii art.
Sure not desirable - what I have some thousend documents...  Any way
to fix that, even if it was a hack?

Thanks

/Jerry