Re: DAVENPORT: Re: [USER] DocBook with non-English labels?

/ Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> was heard to say:
| Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:
|
| > On Wednesday 21 July 1999, at 11 h 22, the keyboard of Adam Turoff
| > <adam.turoff@isinet.com> wrote:
| >
| > > but rather something like:

| > No, it is not sufficient (at least for me, it doesnt' work).
| >
| > > The "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//FR" entry in the catalog file
| > > should use (define %default-language% "fr") and include the default (//EN)
| > > stylesheet.
| >
| > The catalog only includes //EN versions. No error messages but the
| > language seems ignored.
|
| Should I provide these somehow?  I'm not sure how I could possibly do
| it on the level of the "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//FR"
| unless %default-language% is a DSSSL variable rather than a variable
| Norm made up (not sure!).

This seems at the wrong level to me. I'm not sure what would
happen if you hacked James' style sheet DTD and added the
definition of %default-language% (which I did make up).

But, it wouldn't be unreasonable, I suppose, to create different
customization layers on top of my stylesheets that did just this.
Except they're never referred to by public identifier except by
other customization layers, so I'm not sure I see the point
exactly.

It seems clever, but I don't quite see how it's supposed to work.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | In science, "fact" can only mean
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | "confirmed to such a degree that
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | it would be perverse to withhold