Re: DocBook-XML and conditional sections

At 07:05 AM 9/28/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>The biggest problem with using attributes is that the "ignored"
>parts are seen by the parser, so you can't (easily) duplicate
>required structures like title. Instead you have to do yucky
>things like:

>     <phrase arch="PPC">Frobbing your PowerPC Processor</phrase>
>   </title>

We do this sort of thing all the time, but in our system (which, by the
way, isn't DocBook) it's coded as:

         <title>Frobbing your %cpuversion; Processor</title>

which isn't at all yucky.  We do this with single-source, multiple versions
of a book, each having its own private text entity set.  We find it to be a
_very_ effective use of SGML.

Dave
David L. Hintz                   Metaphase Technology Division
Senior Software Engineer         Structural Dynamics Research Corp.
Technical Communications Group   4233 N. Lexington Ave., Suite 3290
Phone:   651/482-4156            Arden Hills, MN 55126-6198
Fax:     651/482-4001            mailto:DLH@MetaphaseTech.com