Re: DocBook-XML and conditional sections

On Tuesday 28 September 1999, at 14 h 13, the keyboard of Norman Walsh
<ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> | Clark's xt/xp, for instance, only works with the JDK, not with
> | kaffe and thus is not really free.
>
> Uh, OK. That strikes me as an exceptionally narrow view of "free"

I don't understand: a free program (James Clark's tools are as free as anyone
could dream) which *needs*, to work, a non-free one, is certainly "not
completely free" ("contrib" in the Debian jargon)?

> (and isn't Kaffe supposed to support all of the JDK eventually?)

Eventually... In practice, presently, kaffe does not work with most of the
Java programs you can find. (It loops endlessly with XP, whose XT depends on.)

> | Also, our documentation leader prefers DSSSL :-)
>
> Yeah, I'm fond of it myself. Clean, elegant, powerful. But I
> think XSL is the future.

I'll have to learn it. In the mean time, DSSSL "works for me".