Re: sect1 in preface

/ Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> was heard to say:
| On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 11:50:32AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
| > Put the object inside a formal wrapper (figure, for example) and
| > xref to that. Xref has to generate text, so you have (basically)
| > to point to something with a title.
|
| And can't a <informalfigure> be used instead of <figure>? I don't want
| to supply a title for every figure I use an <xref> to.

Naturally, if you tweak your stylesheet, you can do anything you
can implement :-). But the out-of-the-box behavior of my DSSSL
and XSL stylesheets is that they number formal objects (things
with titles) but do not number (or otherwise label) informal
objects (or graphics/mediaobjects that occur directly in the
flow).

Given that an informalfigure is not labelled, what cross
reference text could the stylesheets possibly produce? Sure, if
informalfigures were automatically numbered, it could output
"See Informalfigure 3-5" or something, but they aren't. So you
can't use xref.

So I have two questions:

1. Does that make the problem clear?

2. What semantic do you _wish_ were implemented? :-)

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | As a general rule, the most
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | successful man in life is the man
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | who has the best