Re: Choice of environment for working with Docbook?

On Tuesday 7 March 2000, at 18 h 6, the keyboard of Jean Jordaan
<Jean@mosaicsoftware.com> wrote:

>   This mail is a request for advice: what software do you use to
>   author Docbook?

You will probably get as many different replies as there are members of this
list :-)

> the ankle (or, more likely, sat on them), so I would like to try a more
> WYSIWYG solution,

WYSIWYG has no sense in the SGML world. It's an old concept, anyway, which was
significant in the old times where everything was ultimately put onto dead
trees, but which is no longer relevant for our world of various medias.

Trying to "sell" anything to the users as "WYSIWYG" is likely to get them
disappointed in the long term.

> I would be very thankful for any stories or advice from the list. What
> do you use, on what scale, and what does it cost?

I use Emacs+PSGML. It typically costs nothing but, much more important, it is
free ("free as in free speech, not free as in free beer").

> Is it easy (or possible) to teach to Word-users?

Teaching the proper use of MS-Word (specially the styles) to Word users is impossible. I never tried with Emacs :-)