Re: Proposal for BNF/EBNF markup

At 02:57 PM 3/22/00 -0500, Dave Makower wrote:
>Not really.  I was just trying to stay out of the formatting business when
>thinking in content mode.  Perhaps I was getting overzealous; I'm a little
>new to this structured documentation thing, and trying to follow principles.

Admirable!  Don't ever stop! :-)  The trick is to find out where to draw
the line, because when you're representing another formal language inside
XML, the mismatches between the two languages can make you go extremely far
out of your way to get them to line up well, and sometimes the extra cost
(in DTD design/documentation, stylesheet implementation, writer training,
etc.) isn't worth it.  That's why DocBook has a design principle to serve
only documentation needs, not general modeling needs.

         Eve

Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com