DocBook: lists within lists

It seems I can only put lists within certain types of lists.  ie. any
lists that uses the <listitem> element can contain any type of list.  I
am trying to put a segmentedlist within a segmentedlist but it seems the
docbook specification does not allow this.
Is this correct ?
Are there any work arounds ?

Is there anyway to make the different list types more generic in there
syntax.  I would like to be able to change to a different list type by
just changing the outer level markup tag/s.  ie. change sortedlist to
orderedlist to segmentedlist to simplelist .....

Is this possible ?

PS. Please CC replies to me as well as the list.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.