Extreme DocBook/Arbortext Novice Question

Please forgive my naiveté. I'm authoring up our Help system in Arbortext.
I'm using the DTD's that come with Arbortext, I've got DocBook V3.1. I'm
getting confused. I've got my sections set up and I want to enter my <para>
text for each section. But I'm not given the choice to enter a <para> tag
below the <sect1> tags. Am I missing something? Again, sorry for such an
obtuse question, I'm BRAND new at this...
Thanks.
P.