Re: MathML in Docbook?

Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Christoph Steinbeck <steinbeck@ice.mpg.de> was heard to say:
> | I was wondering about a decent way of including MathML equations into a
> | docbook document
>
> Although in no way official yet, here's a customization that
> will do it on top of DocBook V4.0. And obviously you need to change
> the system identifier for the mathml DTD.
>
> | Is there a mechanism for this and are there
> | stylesheets that can produce a reasonable output from that?
>
> I've heard that there are at least a couple of XSL stylesheets for
> MathML, but I haven't been able to get ahold of any.

I've just had a look at the new mozilla milestone 16 and it does a great
job in rendering MathML.
Is there any easy way of getting your stylesheets (either DSSSL or XSL)
to produce XHTML? Well-formend XHTML is needed by Mozilla in order to be
able to display MathML:

		<?xml version="1.0"?>
                <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="mathml.css"?>
                <!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "mathml.dtd"
                [
                <!ENTITY mathns "http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
                ]>
                  <head>
                    <title>Minimum Document with MathML</title>
                  </head>
                      Accept all valid (X)HTML and MathML, including
therefore
math fractions
                      <math xmlns="&mathns;">
                        <mfrac>
                          <mi>a</mi>
                          <mi>b</mi>
                        </mfrac>
                      </math>
Are your stylesheets producing end tags for all the elements? If so,
adding the xmlns for html would probably do the job, right?

Cheers,

Chris

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise.
... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..