RE: General roadmap questions

>From: "Gershon Leib Joseph" <gershon@mainsoft.com>
>To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
>Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: General roadmap questions
>Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:49:14 +0200
>
>Hi Wolfgang,
>
>From what you described, moving to XML or SGML with the DocBook DTD
should
>give you vast improvements in authoring efficiency as well as giving
you
>true single source publishing to multiple formats. I've taken two
companies
>from Word to *ML (one of each).
>
>The best WYSIWYG authoring tool is Arbortext's Epic Editor. The best
>(performance/cost) printing tool is Arbortext's Epic Publisher. You
can run
>Publisher in batch mode, for automated generation of print files.
>
>I use Omnimark for converting legacy formats to SGML or XML. I also
use
>Omnimark to generate HTML and HTML Help, since I need to do things
that are
>difficult (if not impossible) using Jade and DSSSL stylesheets. For
simple
>transformations to HTML, I still use Jade.

We are looking at using DocBook for our internal documentation.  I
have been able to succesfully generate a DocBook document using just a
text editor but this isn't a reasonable solution for marketing and
even our programmers will probably show less resistance if there are
some easy to use tools available.

I have tried to navigate the Arbortext site, but it isn't clear what
we would need.  I am not sure why they have split their product into
so many pieces.  For example, what is the difference between the Epic
Editor and Epic Editor LE?  And why would I need a separate
application to print -- is it not possible to print from within the
editor?

--
Stephen Rasku			E-mail:	stephen@tgivan.com
Senior Software Engineer	Phone:	(604) 872-6676