Re: Graphics across multiple formats

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, John R. Hall wrote:

> I'm in the process of creating a large technical document, and I would
> like to embed bitmapped graphics. I need the graphics to work with the
> DVI and HTML backends with no changes to the source document, and I
> would like to avoid the .GIF format if possible. I'm using the free
> toolchain (Jade etc), DocBook 3.1, and whichever stylesheet is the
> default (cygnus-both.dsl, I believe). How can this be done?

Common praxis is that you have each picture in two version -- for example
PNG, GIF or JPEG for HTML version and PDF or EPS for printed version. In
the document you write filenames of pictures without extension.

<graphic fileref="pic/schema"/>

You can customize stylesheet (DSSSL or XSL) to automaticlay append
appropriate extension. In DSSSL version of stylesheets this can be done by

(define %graphic-default-extension% "gif")

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz