Re: Re: DocBook 4.0 - SGML or XML?

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Chuck Dale wrote:

> What are the drawbacks in moving to using the DocBook XML DTD as soon as
> possible? Would seem to me that lots of fun is ready to be had with
> things like Cocoon.

Documents to be rendered by Cocoon should definitively be DTD-less for
speed reasons (validation should happen before the documents enter the
webserver).  I have not tried on-the-fly conversions inside Cocoon with
DocBook files, but expect that the DocBook XSL is big enough to be
noticable slow.

You can, however, already now do your best to have your documents fully
conforming both to the XML and SGML DTD's.  By doing so you can use tools
from both worlds on your document.

 --
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen               "...plus...Tubular Bells!"
  http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~ravn