Re: cross linked documents ( & in SYSTEM entity)

/ Steffen.Maier@studserv.uni-stuttgart.de was heard to say:
| I couldn't find out from your description where and how you are going to
| set the entities server... in your cited examples above. But I would
| suggest using parameter entities like in the following example:
|
| <!DOCTYPE ... [
|  <!ENTITY % server "some text that is set automagically">
|  <!ENTITY webserverspecific SYSTEM "../%server;/%serverweb;.sgm">
| ]>

Alas, that won't work either. You can't parameterize SYSTEM
identifiers.  (For the SGML geek wannabees in the audience :-), the
problem is that production 75 in the 8879 says that a system
identifier is composed only of 'system data', production 45 says
'system data' is 'character data', and production 47 says 'character
data' consists of 0 or more 'data characters'. And data characters
cannot include markup start characters.)

Instead, you have to resort to nonsense like this:

<!DOCTYPE ... [
 <!ENTITY option1 "INCLUDE">
 <!ENTITY option2 "IGNORE">
 <!ENTITY option3 "IGNORE">

 <![%option1;[
  <!ENTITY webserverspecific SYSTEM "option1">
 ]]>
 <![%option2;[
  <!ENTITY webserverspecific SYSTEM "option2">
 ]]>
 <![%option3;[
  <!ENTITY webserverspecific SYSTEM "option3">
 ]]>

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If we lived alone in a featureless
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | desert we should learn to place
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | the individual grains of sand in a