Re: Tags/concept mappings

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 11:46:50PM -0400 or thereabouts, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
> Along this topic, does anyone have any policy papers or other
> guides mapping specific C constructs to DocBook tags.  I've been
> inventing my own as I go, but it strikes me as something where
> there may already be common conventions.

I was really hoping someone would chip in here. I try to avoid marking up
code, because I don't understand C too well, but occasionally I have been
roped into it. Since at least effort ended up in a fairly widely-
distributed package, I have been cringing ever since, thinking, "I hope
I didn't mess that all up" :)

> For some examples: Is a #define macro a <function>?  Is a #define'd

Yeah, I have met that one, too. I think I made the macros <function>s
in the end.

> value a <constant>? (seems it should be, but it might be a literal)
> What is a pre-processor directive?  Is a number or a quoted string a
> literal or a contant?  What are asm and volatile?  What is a software
> package name? (option, filename or productname?)
>
> I realize for most (if not all) of these the answer may be "Whatever
> you think is best", but I am just curious if there is any cultural
> convention which has been summarized somewhere. I guess what I want is
> the reverse of Appendix G of TDG ;)

I know the feeling!

Telsa