Marking up protocols such as ftp..?

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 12:18:09PM -0400 or thereabouts, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Sean Donnellan <sean@donnellan.de> was heard to say:
> | I was wondering, as I come from a UNIX/Network background, if there are
> | any standard ways of representing hostnames, domainnames, and ip addresses
> | in DocBook.
>
> This came up recently. From my (as yet unpublised minutes from the
> last f2f meeting)
[snip]

Oh, goodie.

Something I have been wondering is whether there is any way to mark
up protocols such as FTP, HTTP, UDP and so on, and whether such a
thing would be useful to others as well as to me. Is this the sort
of thing I should be justified in requesting as an RFE?

I haven't been using DocBook for very long (less than a year) so
I'm a bit hesitant to request another tag to add to the fairly
large list. At the same time, I can't find anything I can use to
mark many of them up.

The sort of thing I'm thinking of is where you are describing the
protocol, not linking to something. In the documentation of a firewall
tool aimed squarely at new users (gnome-lokkit) there are explanations
of what various options will do and how they will affect the user. That
was one place I became sorely confused. Some examples are:

  <para>
    DHCP is the Dynamic Hostname Configuration Protocol, which is
    a way of being assigned an internet address....
  </para>
  <para>
    If email arrives on your ISP's server and you collect
  </para>
  <para>
    FTP has two modes of operation, one of which is firewall-friendly.
    Modern FTP clients tend to support the friendly mode (really called
    passive mode)...
  </para>
  <para>
    Realaudio defaults to using UDP which is hard to firewall...
(Eep. What a horrible sentence. Must fix that.)

Etc. Etc. I looked at DHCP, IMAP, POP3, FTP, UDP and the rest and
the best I could do was to find <acronym>. For some reason I didn't
spot <abbrev> at the time.

There are a host more examples of similar and related items I wanted
to mark up ("There's tags for everything else, there must be for this",
was roughly my feeling at the time) at:

http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/gnome-doc-list/2000-March/000777.html

Telsa