Re: getting started info

> From: Elisa Ma <Elisa.Ma@actional.com>
>
> Please excuse the bonehead nature of my inquiry.
>
> As a complete newbie to docbook (why didn't I know about it sooner?), I need
> to know basic requirements for beginning to work with it. I'm thinking of
> making a Linux partition on my computer, although most apps at work operate
> on NT.
>
> It appears that I could try out docbook "simple" by using java enablers,
> etc.,  that are easily downloaded and implemented on Linux...does this make
> sense to all you sophisticated docbook users out there? Is someone willing
> to assist an experienced tech writer understand the initial steps of getting
> docbook up and running? I'm used to viewing and interpreting code, so I'll
> catch on quickly.

Your first decision, from which all else flows, will
be whether you will be working with the SGML or
XML version of DocBook.  Currently the SGML toolkits
like the Gnome kit mentioned in the other response
are more mature and work out of the box.  But the
future is with XML, where most of the development
is taking place today.  And the tools are good enough
to use today for most purposes.  I recommend that most
people starting out go with XML.  You can browse the
DocBook mailing list archive at OASIS to see
further discussion on this subject.

bobs
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com