Recommended way to include external C source

What is the recommended way to handle external C source
(i.e. having the parser include the entity, and translate
& into &amp; and <> into &lt;&gt; etc.)?

After an hour of poking on docbook.org and www.oasis-open.org,
and with no access to books (recommendations welcome, except
for Handbook and Readme1st, both of which I own but have left
on a different continent), I am still stuck.

This is what I expected to work:
  <!ENTITY    sample.c  system "examples/sample.c"   CDATA >

Gets me:
  delimiter ">" invalid: only name and parameter separators are allowed

After some reading I just made up a notation and tried:

  <!ENTITY    sample.c  system "examples/sample.c"   CDATA  ANSI-C >
  <!NOTATION  ANSI-C    system "ANSI-C" >

I do not get parser complaints, I do not get output.

I have to keep the examples separate for compile testing, and
I want to avoid maintaining temporary files and conversions
scripts. Is CDATA correct, if yes, is a Notation required, if
yes, which one is the right one? How do I use this in
combination with <programlisting> or <literallayout>?

If somebody has an online reference for reading up on this in
a systematic way, that would be much appreciated. Is there
any documentation out there based on Purpose->Implementation,
e.g. a collection of SGML/DocBook "Use Patterns"?

                                          b.