Re: Support for target=?

> From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
>
> | I took a look at XLink, and the "xlink:show=new" attribute
> | of a link element indicates that the link should appear in
> | a new display. But XLink doesn't seem to provide an
> | attribute to indicate the target *name*.  I presume this
> | would be a non-XLink attribute of the link element?
>
> Hmm. I had momentarily forgotten that we've postponed most linking
> issues to post XLink. I wonder if this isn't a deficiency in XLink,
> though...hmm...

Maybe.  The current spec says:

  xlink:show="new"
    An application traversing to the ending resource should load
    it in a new window, frame, pane, or other relevant
    presentation context. This is similar to the effect achieved
    by the following HTML fragment:

    <A HREF="http://www.example.org" target="_blank">...</A>

So it seems to permit only "_blank" as the target.
The W3C site shows that XLink is now a Candidate
Recommendation, but the public comment period closed 3 October.
I'll probably see editor Eve Maler next week at XML Devcon, so
I'll ask her about this.

bobs
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com