Bottom of page footnotes

I've set the bop-footnotes variable in dbparam.dsl to #t, but I'm still
not getting bottom-of-page footnotes with the TeX backend (they're
collected at the end of each chapter). Any ideas?

Also, line breaking with the TeX backend is rather awful. It frequently
extends text way out of bounds and into the margins (especially things
like filenames that contain no spaces). Is there a way to ask the
backend to NEVER put text out of bounds, even if it means breaking the
line at an unexpected place?

Thanks!
-John