Re: Keyboard shortcuts for links

/ Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> was heard to say:
| On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 09:04:41AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
| > The Web Accessibility Guidelines suggest that you should have keyboard
| > shortcuts for links. So that it isn't necessary to mouse around to
| > navigate.  Makes sense to me.
|
| I'm not sure I follow.  Keyboard support is relatively well defined in things
| like lynx or w3m.  Even Internet Explorer lets you use the TAB key to move
| from link to link.
|
| What where you thinking of?

You're not the first to ask what I meant, so I must have been more unclear
than usual. ("As clear as mud," my mother would say :-)

I think an example will help. Suppose you want to produce:

<a accesskey="f" href="http://www.foo.com">FooCorp</a> and

You can put the following in your source:

<para>You can get more info from
<ulink url="http://www.foo.com">FooCorp</ulink> and

But where do you specify the accesskey attribute values? My questions are:

1. Is anyone doing this? I can think of several ways to approach the
   problem, which one(s) are you using?

2. Does anyone think this qualifies as structural enough or important
   enough to add to DocBook V4+delta?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | There is nothing which human
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | courage will not undertake, and
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | little that human patience will