Re: Strange newlines in HTML output

* siaco@id.pl <siaco@id.pl> [Dec 04. 2000 09:04]:

> Hi!
>
> I compared recently HTML output of an SGML document written in DocBook and
> Linuxdoc and I'm wondering, why HTML output does look so strange:
>
> <HTML
> ><HEAD
> ><TITLE
> ></TITLE
> ><META
> NAME="GENERATOR"
>
> Yes, I mean the newlines before the '>' sign.

Some XSLT-processors (like XT) uses this trick to break lines
while avoiding to insert linefeeds between tags, which is significant
in HTML.

It requires quite more logic in the XSLT-processor to generate correct,
indented HTML, if constructions like <PRE></PRE> should be treated
specially.

If you do not like it, then use another smarter processor.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen                   "...sound of... Tubular Bells!"
  http://bigfoot.com/~thunderbear