Is it possible in DocBook?

Hello!

I am looking for format to write technical book in. I found that DocBook
+ DSSSL Jade to render it is probably what I need. However, I have some
questions I
did not found good answers for in docs. The destination format is RTF
(with TeX and HTML output also desirable). I have stylesheets-0.13rh-4.rpm
installed (DocBook 3.1)

1. My book will be in Russian. Russian seem to be supported but when I
tried lang="ru" in the chapter example - I do not see "Glava" written
where it need to be. (de and fr are fine outputting "Kapitel and
Chaptier").

example.sgml:
-----------------
<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
<chapter lang=ru><title>&Tcy;&ecy;&scy;&tcy; - incorrectly
looking</title>
<para>

This is a paragraph in the test chapter. ...
How do I add russian text here conveniently?
(not by &Ecy;&tcy;&ocy; - or is it the only way?)
(If it is, I could write a simple convertor, but if it is possible to
feed in koi8-r encoding - it would be great!)

</para>
</chapter>
-----------------

jade -t tex -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/nwalsh-modular/print/docbook.dsl
example.sgml

# jade-1.2.1-9 gives no errors

jadetex example.tex

# jadetex-2.7-2
# tetex-1.0.6-11bc

it gives this:
"""
! Text line contains an invalid character.
l.165 {^^@
          ^^@}\def\sbNom%
! Text line contains an invalid character.
l.165 {^^@^^@
             }\def\sbNom%

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT2/mnt/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT2/wncyr/m/n' instead on input line 176.
"""

xdvi example.dvi

2. Russian letters are somewhat incorrect (in jadeTeX version). The word
"Test" when written in Russian (&ecy; instead of &iecy; is used to show
that letter is wrong) consists from letters of different fonts.

3. In my book I need xref capabilities like \pageref in LaTeX. I have not
found them in the DocBook docs. (I need page references not just section
references.) Is there any way to use them in RTF and TeX backends?

Probably more questions will follow if I choose DocBook for the task at
hand.

Or would you advice something else? For example, is there comparable in
quality _freeware_ LaTeX -> RTF converter which could convert tables,
cross-pagerefs?

Thank you!

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--