Documenting the DTD

I'm sorry that this is stretching off topic for the DocBook list, but I
know that I've seen possible answers and suggestions here. I remember
Norm saying something about making the DocBook DTD "self documenting".
I'm assuming this is done by putting things into the DTD that can be
extracted using some too, generating something akin to the reference
section of DocBook: The Definitive Guide.  Does anybody have some more
details on this?  Thanks,

    Greg