Re: Non breaking spaces or "ties"?

While I can see that some hyphenation decisions are strictly the province
of the formatter, at the general level, I would expect two things from the
DTD: the ability to mark up content that (incidentally) shouldn't be
hyphenated (such as a proper name -- the formatter may legitimately be the
one that decides if it should be hyphenated or not, but it shouldn't be
expected to identify the proper name), and the ability to add "extended
markup" that says, in essence "this phrase should be handled according to
special rules".

Some of the former are already in DocBook (although I don't see how to mark
up a proper name in running text); the <phrase role="propername"> tag would
seem appropriate for the latter approach.

In other words, (1) the DTD needs to mark up the content in such a way that
the formatter can identify the cases it needs to deal with, and (2) DocBook
provides such a mechanism.

At 10:30 AM 3/28/01 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
>/ Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> was heard to say:
>| | Likewise, how do I encode words to prevent hyphenation?
>| | Like, my name, which I *never* want hyphenated!  ;-)
>|
>| Depends on your formatter.
>
>Following up on my own post :-), I was reminded out-of-band that
>hyphenate in XSL is an inheritable property, so
>
>  <fo:block>blah blah blah <fo:inline hyphenate="false">Norman
>  Walsh</fo:inline> blah blah</fo:block>
>
>is a perfectly legit way of making sure that a proper name isn't
>hyphenated.

>--
>Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Don't limit your child to your own
>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | learning, for he was born in
>Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | another time.--Rabbinic Saying

Mark B. Wroth
<mark@astrid.upland.ca.us>