RE: docbook: about paragraphs, cross-references, indexes

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 Roy.Gardiner@natwest.com wrote:
> > Steffen.Maier@studserv.uni-stuttgart.de
> >
> > "Zone
> >
> > The use of Zone implies a spanning index entry. Zone holds the IDs of the
> > elements to which it applies. Then IndexTerm applies to the contents of
> > the entire element(s) to which it points. If Zone is used, the phyiscal
> > placement of the IndexTerm in the flow of the document is
> > irrelavant." [TDG]
> >
> Yes; but only for entries marking a range of text. TDG also says "A single
> point is marked with an Indexterm placed in the text at the point of
> reference". This markup:
>
> <INDEXTERM>
> <PRIMARY>DocBook</PRIMARY>
> <SECONDARY>Changes for <ACRONYM>V4.0</ACRONYM></SECONDARY>
> </INDEXTERM>
>
> occurs in full over 40 times in TDG. Surely there must be a simpler way?

The multiple occurance in TDG is indeed a fact I hesitate to argument
against since I believe that Norm knows how to write DocBook documents.
However I'd like to know if it is complete nonsense to use an anchor as
the "range" you want to reference in the zone-attribute of an indexterm
just as I suggested it in my last mail?

Doing it that way the "range" should degenerate to a single point because:
"Anchor -- A spot in the document" [TDG]
"Anchor has no content and generally produces no output. It is a link
target." [TDG]
>From this I conclude that the empty anchor element is no range and could
serve as a replacement for multiple occurances of the same indexterm
over and over.

If I am wrong, please let me know. Because then I would have to modify
semantics of index targets in a simple, small docbook browser I wrote.

TIA,
Steffen Maier.

  http://w3studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~maiersn/
mailto:Steffen.Maier@studserv.uni-stuttgart.de