Numbers Appearing in TOC

I'm using:

<!DTD book PUBLIC "-//OASSIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN">

>From  default RedHat 7.1 distribution with no changes to dbparam.dsl or
any other settings. When I create my book using db2html which seems to
be  wrapper for something called "jw", I get toc's with:

Linux (comment 1)
 1 (comment 2)

(comment 1)
This is normal and hyperlinked

(comment 2)
This is just regular text

These 1's and various other numbers appear within my TOC with no
apparent reason and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this
behaviour.

DSL