Re: 400 setup and configs later...

* Fredrik Eriksson:

> I am fighting to be able to  get started in writing a docbook document
> on my Linux Slackware

I had  a slackware distro  on my laptop until  last december.  It  was a
pain to install new software, especially those relying on others: Galeon
has  about  15 package  dependencies,  a  full DocBook  installation  is
complex, etc.   Slackware is  not good at  managing packages,  every new
application must be compiled from scratch.

I  then switched  to  FreeBSD  (which is  a  logic  way after  Slackware
IMHO  ;)  and I  was  very  impressed  by  the ports  collection,  which
automagically fetches,  compiles and installs your  packages, along with
their dependencies.

Example: DocBook

* Tell FreeBSD to install the DocBook DTD:
cd /usr/ports/textproc/docbook/
make install

* Tell FreeBSD to install DocBook's DSSSL stylesheets
cd /usr/ports/textproc/dsssl-docbook-modular/
make install

* Tell FreeBSD to install Jade
cd /usr/ports/textproc/jade/
make install

* Tell FreeBSD to install JadeTex (for PDF output)
cd /usr/ports/print/jadetex/
make install

Of  course, TeTeX  is a  dependency of  jadetex, and  will therefore  be
installed automatically if it is missing.

That's all!
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot