RE: FW: Equations.

Um, I wasn't.  Each equation at present needs its own source. Each source is
only 16-140 char's long.

Here are my first two equations

C.and.(~A.or.(D.and.E))

and

C.and.(~B.or.~D.or.(D.and.~E))

I have another 100+ that are not much longer (max chars 127).  They are my
sources. They are all presentable in ASCII.  I don't need MathML or TeX for
these, so any browser will understand them.

> Anyway, you can't avoid a set of graphic file for each
> equation unless you
> can guarantee that the browser/renderer understands the math
> notation.

I can.

> Amaya
> (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/) displays (some) MathML, is free
> (like in free
> beer), but not suited for general consumption.

<grin>neither is free beer</grin>

>IBM techexplorer
> (http://www-4.ibm.com/software/network/techexplorer/) sports
> full support
> for MathML 1.01 and also a large subset of LaTeX. Sebastian Rahtz'
> PassiveTex (http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex/) can
> typeset MathML
> rather well.

I don't need to go this deep for my current document.

> If you generate PostScript (EPS or PDF) by default for each
> LaTeX equation,

Which requires a .tex file source for each equation.

> that won't cost you much in terms of storage, and is
> immediately useful for
> print. Other presentation formats can be generated on demand from the
> PostScript file.

I seem to be miss reading your reply.  I also stand to be corrected if any
one has more experience with file systems and how they store data.  If the
smallest
block on my disk is 1K then for any file less then 1K, I lose 1Ks worth of
disk space.  All my equations are less then 1K.  I have over 100 equations
to mark-up.
That is 100K worth of space. Not a small amount at all, given that it is at
max only 13K worth of real data. And I have to come up with 100+
semi-meaningfull names and not put too many files into one directory.

> If you go for MathML (or if you manage to somehow put the
> LaTeX source into
> the document)

But I can't.  Which is why I started this thread.  At least, I can't if that
is all I want.

>, you'll need a way to generate unique file
> names for generated
> files. A nice trick is to derive the file names from a digest
> of the content
> (i.e., MD5) of your math data. This can be used to cache
> rendering of the
> math data.

You could make the fileref attribute unique and name the file the same
thing.  This would have the same limitations as the current IDREF.