Subject:    Re: DOCBOOK: Implementing DocBook on MS-DOS/Windows
Author: Derek Dees <djdees@mm.com>
Date:       10/25/01 2:58 PM

Rob,

I write all my DocBook stuff in vim on Windows 2000. It's just been a
matter of learning the dozen or so tags that I regularly use. Before I put
vim onto the box, I did the same tasks in Notepad.

Good luck.

At 14:00 2001-10-25, you wrote:
>I want to first thank those of you have previously responded to my plea for
>help. But I have decided to change my plea.
>
>I am very interested in using DocBook to prepare software documentation
>and for
>writing technical papers. Unfortunately, although I utilize a "real" computer
>system (i.e., UNIX) for programming and maintaining data in an Oracle
>database,
>I am forced to use a Windows PC for documentation. I say unfortunately
>because I
>believe that MS Word is the worst word processing program that I have ever
>used
>and I've been using word processing software for 20 years.
>
>DocBook appears to provide all the capabilities that I want and in a
>manner that
>I can use. But I have encountered difficulties implementing jade and the
>DocBook
>DTD on my PC. As I see it, in order to complete this implementation I need to
>learn much more about the specifics of DTDs and DSSSLs, but I just don't have
>the time because I am juggling numerous work assignments during the day
>and most
>of my evenings are devoted to preparation for a programming class I teach.
>
>I'm willing to use a text editor to prepare and maintain the documentation
>-- in
>fact, I still use the vi-editor to maintain html for web pages. What I want is
>to be able to write some sgml pages using the DocBook DTD's constructs so
>I can
>determine if DocBook provides the capabilities I need. At this point in
>time, I
>have no intention of writing my own DTD or DSSLs.
>
>Does anyone out there know if this is possible?
>
>==> Bob

Derek
djdees@mm.com
http://www.mm.com/user/djdees

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who
doesn't get it.