RE: Implementing DocBook on MS-DOS/Windows

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html
"SGML for NT: A brief tutorial how to set up a free SGML editing and
publishing system for Windows NT"
A very complete guide that by itself constitutes an example of
what you try to accomplish.
Somewhat biased towards SGML, jade and TeX.

If you lean towards XML and XSLT, supplement the above with:
http://xslt-process.sourceforge.net/
"XSLT-process is a minor mode for GNU Emacs/XEmacs which transforms
it into a powerful editor with XSLT processing and debugging capabilities.
XSLT-process is not an Emacs major mode for editing XML or XSLT files,
for this you should use Lennart Staflin's PSGML, James Clark's
sgml-mode.el major mode (distributed with GNU Emacs), or Tony Graham's
xslide XSLT mode. "

If you'd rather have everything in a package with all the decisions
made on your behalf:

http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/TEI/Software/
"Inspired by Kevin Russell's now rather old Ebenezer suite, we have
bundled emacs, psgml, and a bunch of other useful stuff together as a
single archive for installation on any Windows 32 bit system (30 Mb), or
any Unix system (29.5 Mb); This setup was last updated on 20th Sept 2001."
Includes TEI and DocBook support. Also for Unix.

http://xae.sunsite.dk/
"XML Authoring Environment for Emacs"
For XML.

If it's not apparent already, I'm somewhat biased towards emacs.
Even if you may be able get Arbortext Epic, Softquad XMetaL, or
Corel WordPerfect, you'll sometimes need more hands-on control.

There's an introduction to emacs + psgml at
http://www.snee.com/bob/sgmlfree/emcspsgm.pdf
Be sure to see the PSGML Tricks page:
http://www.snee.com/bob/sgmlfree/emcspsgm.html

BTW, emacs 21 has just been released (though not quit yet on WindowsNT).
While better support for fonts and images have been available for some
time in XEmacs, the release of emacs 21 will probably spur the development
of better visual feedback.

If you absolutely can't stand emacs, here's some alternatives:

epcEdit
http://www.epcedit.com/
Tcl/Tk-based
SGML and XML editor
Does CALS tables
60-days evaluation

XXE
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/
Java-based
XML editor, in beta, but useful
Does CALS tables to some extent

Morphon  http://www.morphon.com/
Java-based
XML editor
Does not do tables (when I last checked)
30-days evaluation

XED
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xed.html
Python/Tk based