Re: Re: Concrete proposal for #480954: Extend textobjecttoinsertexternal files

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 04:05:01PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> > content-type are not generic enough.  We should be able to have
> > control to a level like image/bitmap/png/rle-compressed, which the
> > 2-level of MIME can't express.  At least it would be useful to a
> > stylesheet to have the "image/bitmap/png" part.
>
> Tell me for what this information may be useful. I talked about some
> attribute which can store type of data in included external text file.
> Stylesheet can (at least in theory) use this information for syntaxing
> highlighting of source.

The bitmap vs. vector information could be used by the stylesheet to
select the most adapted format for a given backend.  But the way I put
it here may not be adequate, given the example given somewhere else of
EPS files, which can hold bitmaps as well as vector drawings.

> > > language - it is used in classsynopsis for same purpose.
> >
> > This has the idea of a programming language.  Such a notion may not
> > exist - think of a plain-text file, or the textual representation of
> > an equation, etc.
>
> plain-text file - no language attribute or language="plain" or
> language="text"
> equation - no language attribute or language="tex" or language="maple"
> or language="matlab"

<phrase role="not completely convinced but can't find an argument">Hm.</>

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre