Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:47:44PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> > 1. Switch. Remove linkend and break everything all at once.
>
> This is not good approach, IMHO.

Seconded.

> > 2. Allow both in V5 and remove linkend in V6. Stipulating that when both
> >    are present linkend wins (or xlink:href wins, whichever).
>
> In that case, I'm almost sure that linkend will win and we only shift
> decision of removing it one DocBook version forward. In this light,
> removing linkend in DocBook 5 doesn't sound silly.

For what I gather of the current practice, I'd suggest to have both in
v5, while marking linkend as obsolete so that people can do the
transition.

But well, you can count me in the number of those who would give
"linkend" away only if really necessary :}

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre