Re: Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

> From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
>
> / Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> was heard to say:
> | OK. But in that case, there should be at least:
> |
> |     xlink:type      (simple|extended)        #IMPLIED
>
> I disagree. I don't want <phrase> to be an extended link. Ever. But it can
> be a simple link, sometimes.

Making an element an extended link requires additional
changes to the DTD beyond adding this attribute value.
Extended links require child elements to express the
rest of the link information.  The only information
in the extended link element itself is a role and
a title, which doesn't get you very far.  I don't
think any of the existing DocBook elements have children
that would be suitable for the xlink subelements, which
means we would have to add xlink subelements as Norm mentioned
in his original proposal.

And we don't have to do that to enable experimentation with
extended xlinks.  As others have pointed out, extended
xlinks can be implemented outside the files entirely, so no
changes to the DTD are required.  I suggest we go with the
minimum changes we need until proven otherwise.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com