Re: how to... postscripize

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 10:36, Massimiliano Cialdi wrote:
> I have a linux slackware 8.0 box

Massimiliano,

You will need the "contrib" CD from Slackware, or alternatively you can
go to ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware and look for the contrib
directory for slackware 8.

You will need to install the sgmltools package.  If you haven't
installed a package by hand before (as opposed to just running the CD
installation), look at "man pkgtool" and "man installpkg".

The slackware sgmltools package includes Jade and the DSSSL
stylesheets.  I'm not sure if it installs the XSL stylesheets.

Try first using the command "db2html" and see if it makes a directory
called "db2html-dir" that has a bunch of HTML files in it that have the
book formatted as HTML.  If this doesn't work then maybe something's
wrong with your installation.

The sgmltools package stuff is all installed in /opt/sgml on slackware.
You do need the contrib CD, or to download the one package from the
site, because the regular installation CD doesn't have it.

db2html is a shell script that calls jade.  There will be other shell
scripts for the other formats, I think they are all in /opt/sgml/bin.
Put /opt/sgml/bin in your PATH.  Look in there to find the one that
makes postscript.  You can also make pdf.

db2html won't work by itself on DocBook XML files, just DocBook SGML.
You can copy it and make a small modification to give jade the XML
declaration, let me know if you need it and I'll post the script on my
website.

It can be quite difficult to get the docbook toolchain set up and to
learn how to use it, but once you have it set up and have some practice,
it is very nice to use.

Also it is helpful to get psgml for emacs, it is an emacs mode for
editing XML and SGML files, much better than the xml-mode that comes
stock on slackware.

I have slackware 8 on my laptop and desktop PC's.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
crawford@goingware.com