Re: Re: RFE #480954: Extend textobject to insert externalfiles

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 06:03:47PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> was heard to say:
> [...]
> | I'm generally supportive of this approach to including
> | text files as valid objects.  But I question its inclusion
> | in inlinemediaobject.  Consider that the textobject is
> | to be linespecific, that is, needs to preserve
>
> There's nothing linespecific about the textobject itself. It gets that
> property from the container that it's in. Just like <emphasis> isn't
> linespecific except inside other linespecific environments.

Ah, I assumed it was linespecific since there was no
format attribute to control it.  If the container
determines the behavior, then the proposal looks fine to me.

> | whitespace.  What is it doing inline?  Surely you don't
> | expect to put a linespecific text object in the middle of a
> | para.
>
> Uh...well, not unless you put a programlisting in there. :-)
>
> | I suggest adding textobject and textdata as valid children of
> | programlisting and literallayout.  I think that would
>
> Textobject or textdata? I don't think it makes sense to add both.

I can see both being used.  Textdata is simple,
a single element to pull in the text content.  Textobject
allows objectinfo so you can add metadata to keep track
of your text objects.  If we have to choose, I think
textobject.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com