Re: Re: DocBook filename extension

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:21:34PM +0100, Peter Ring wrote:
> Not that it would be a general solution: NT/WIN2K/XP can actually attach
> extra attribute/value pairs to a file. It gets stored natively in the
> filesystem on NTFS.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to be able to ask the filesystem (or some such service)
> about at least a MIME type and an encoding; these are inherent
> characteristics of the file, and should be embedded in the file.

One can easily argue that informations stored in the filesystem, such
as file attribute/value pairs are *outside* the file, and *not*
embedded in the file.  This basically means that most legacy
filesystems will not store them, and most legacy tools will strip
them, even when transfering across filesystems that support them.

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique