Re: Simplfying the ToC content model

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> The TC has an action item to consider simplfying the content model of
> ToC (the elements used to construct a manual ToC).
>
> In the course of writing the chunktoc/maketoc stylesheets, I came to
> the conclusion that something as simple as this would be sufficient:
>
> <!ELEMENT toc (title?, tocentry+)>
>
> <!ELEMENT tocentry (citetitle?, tocentry*)>

I like the simplicity of it, but if we go with it, I think it might be
useful to add a "class" attribute on Tocentry, with an enumerated list
of values that correspond to DocBook component names, like this:

   <!ATTLIST Tocdiv  class (dedication|preface|toc|lot
                            |part|chapter|article|reference
                            |bibliography|appendix|glossary
                            |index|colophon)  #IMPLIED
                     ... >

The reason I suggest it is, though I've never needed to author a TOC
manually, I can imagine someone who does need to do might want some
way to distinguish certain kinds of TOC entries (the stuff in the list
above) from the "normal" TOC entries that make up most of the TOC.

On the processing side, you'd be able to style those parts differently
(bigger font or whatever) based on their class attributes. It seems
like that was maybe part of the rationale for the current Tocfront/
Tocback/Tocchap/Tocpart division.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith, Tokyo, Japan    http://sideshowbarker.net