Closing A tags

I'm using DocBook to generate HTML documentation and it does not
close anchors.  For example, it generates <A NAME="AEN1"> instead of
<A NAME="AEN1"></A>.  This sort of shorthand doesn't bother IE or
Netscape, but it does bother HTML editors and browsers like iCab.

I tried the brutish solution of doing a search for all:

make empty-element gi: "A"

and changed them to:

make element gi: "A"

but as I feared, that was too easy.  When I did that I lost my
chapter titles off of the top of the HTML files along with the
closing "H1" tag, so my text was HUGE.

Does anyone know the CORRECT way to change this?

Gre7g.