<step> number and content on different lines

Hello all,

I am using a procedure in my xml and I am finding that in the final pdf, the
content of the step is on the next line from the number of the step, e.g., i
am seeing things like:

3.
Using the Kluber Lubrication Grease and a grease gun, apply a small amount
through each fitting until a small amount of grease begins to bleed out of
the bearing seal around the fitting.

I am using xalan to make the .fo file and fop to make the pdf.

a typical step in my procedure looks like:

<step>
<para>
Using the Kluber Lubrication Grease and a grease gun, apply a small amount
through each fitting until a small amount of grease begins to bleed out of
the bearing seal around the fitting.
</para>
</step>

anyone know what is happening?