Re: Re: [docbook-tc] Proposal: Linking in DocBook

Norman Walsh writes:

> Fork 2: Do It Our Way OR Do It the XLink Way
>
>   If we do it our way, we get to define the semantics, but no tool will
>   ever support our linking elements directly. (Well, I suppose some
>   special purpose DocBook tool might, but let's not worry about that.)

I'm wondering how such "direct" support would look like.  All toolsets
that work with DocBook are in some way specially purposed for DocBook.
Today we have XSLT and DSSSL stylesheets (and other obscure conversion
tools) that work specially with DocBook.  Even in the unforeseeable future
there will have to be some sort of tool that associates semantics to raw
DocBook.  For such a tool it's pretty irrelevant whether it converts xlink
or some other linking system for presentation.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net