re: converting to DocBook

From: Pradeep Padala <ppadala@cise.ufl.edu>

>For conversion from tex and wiki to docbook, TLDP has some tools here http://tldp.org/downloads/
>wt2db can also handle text to docbook conversion to some extent.
>For conversion from man pages to docbook, you can use this tool. http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/doclifter/
>I wrote a patch for this to add some more functionality. You can get the patch and the devel version at
>http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~ppadala/projects/doclifter I am not distributing doclifter.
>I also wrote a patch to tidy which does the conversion of html to docbook.
>Details here. http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~ppadala/tidy

	A plethora of things I hadn't found.

From: Georges Schmitz <georges.schmitz@heitec.de>

>Were you ever successful in beautifying DocBook XML documents (or any
>other XML document) by using tidy? I wasn't! :-(

	This isn't an issue for me.  The whole point of converting to
	DocBOok is to get everything in a uniform format.  I expect that
	I will be rewriting at least half the documents, after
	conversion.

From: Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com>

>If I had that problem, I would convert as many of them as I could to HTML, run 'tidy' to clean up the HTML,
>and then run the DocParse tool from www.commmandprompt.com to convert them to DocBook.

	That sounds like the easiest option, since the majority of them are
	in HTML format.   Tidy can get everything to the same version of HTML.

	Somewhere I have a perl script that converts plain ASCII to HTML
	2.0.  Tidy can clean up and upgrade the results to 4.01.

	Most of the formatted non-HTML, non-plain ASCII documents can be
	converted to HTML using whatever created them in that format.

	There is the irony of converting to HTML, then to DocBook, then back
	to HTML so that it can be seen on the web.

	xan

	jonathon

--

  http://www.eskimo.com/~hwa/index.html