RE: Print books in book format

Once you produce Postscript from any input, you can
transform it just before printing. However, the produced
Postscript must contain some information about the pages.
Good tools usually produce good PS.

As Lassi A. Tuura mentioned, the pstools is a good set of
command line tools to do the transformation.
I did use them a lot -- until
we got the HP LaserJet 4050 Postscript printer with duplexor.
One of the drivers even let you do the similar actions
for any (not only Postscript) output using mouseclicks
(double side printing, more pages on one paper, even
the booklet A5 printed on A4 papers -- i.e. page reordering).
However, it is not capable to cut one big book to many
small booklets, say 20 pages each -- when you want
to bind them to the book in a classic way.

For MS Windows, look for cygwin package with pstools.
Then you can create batch files with commands like that
(for printing booklet on LaserJet 5):

psbook -q -s20 myDoc.ps | psnup -b5mm -2 >reordered.ps
psselect -o -r reordered.ps >side1.ps
psselect -e -r reordered.ps >side2.ps
del reordered.ps

You would probably create a batch/script file to do that.

Briefly -- recalled from my memory (check the
documentation): the psbook -s20 reorders pages
for as many booklets with 20 pages each as needed
(i.e. you always fold 5 sheets for one booklet, later).
The psnup -2 puts two pages to one (shrink).  The
-b5mm adds the 5 mm border.  The psselect select
odd pages in reversed order (-o -r) or even pages in
reversed order respectively.  You should play with
arguments to adjust the commands to your printer.
It depend on how the printer feeder works and how
the papers are ordered in output box.

Then you send side1.ps to your printer first
(like "copy /b side1.ps lpt1),
take the result pages, put it to the feeder again and send
the side2.ps to the printer.  You can also print
the PS files through Ghostscript/GSView if you
do not have Postscript printer.

Read the doc for psutils. Try smaller amount of pages
first for booklets to adjust the arguments correctly.

Regards,
  Petr
--
Petr Prikryl (prikrylp@skil.cz)