Re: Fwd: Looking for advice on appropriate tags

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 06:29:20PM -0500, John R. Daily wrote:
> I'm forwarding this note (originally sent to the LDP's DocBook
> mailing list) because it expresses a desire to have more
> expressive procedure semantics.
>
> I didn't see any response to my earlier note on test cases as a
> similar concept that lacked expression in DocBook.  Was it
> irrelevant, or simply lacking in concreteness worthy of further
> discussion?
>
> -John

Here is how I would do it. I'd use procedure with steps and
substeps, and capture the main idea in each step's title.
I've included indents in literallayout here for illustration
purposes only.  I also tend to avoid showing prompts unless
it is an interactive session showing output as well.

<procedure>
  <step>
    <title>Prepare the boot disk floppy</title>
    <substeps>
      <step>
        <para>Insert a blank diskette labled "boot disk".</para>
      </step>
      <step>
        <para>Execute the following commands:</para>
        <literallayout class="monospaced">
          mke2fs -m0 /dev/fd0
          mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
        </literallayout>
      </step>
    </substeps>
  </step>
  <step>
    <title>Build the kernel</title>
    <substeps>
      <step>
        <para>Execute the following commands:</para>
        <literallayout class="monospaced">
          cd /usr/src/linux
          make menuconfig
        </literallayout>
      </step>
      <step>
        <para>Be sure to configure support for the following:</para>
	<itemizedlist>
	  <listitem>
            <para>386 processor</para>
	  </listitem>
	  <listitem>
            <para>floppy disk</para>
	  </listitem>
	</itemizedlist>
      </step>
      <step>
        <para>Execute the following commands:</para>
        <literallayout class="monospaced">
          make dep
          make clean
          make bzImage