Re: Request for comments: adding a Fileoutput element (RFE613293)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:43:15AM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> > What about extending proposal 1. to obsolete <literallayout> as well
> > as <programlisting> ?  That way we even make the DTD simpler.
>
> I support the addition of a filecontents element.
> But I object to removing programlisting and literallayout.
>
> A programlisting isn't necessarily the contents of a file.
> I write example code that never gets into a file.
> If I wanted to run it, it would have to be put into
> a file.  But it exists as a programlisting in its own
> right.

Maybe we could find an element name that would encompass all those
uses.

For example, I suppose that all of those programlisting elements, if
they do not always represent a complete file, are at least supposed to
represent part of one.

The fact they never really get into any file, if they are just example
of (portions of) files, does not strike me as being excluded from a
<filecontents> element.

I can think about names like <filesnippet> or <fileexcerpt>, but those
in my mind would somewhat exclude full-file contents.

Anyone with better ideas ?

> And literallayout has many uses that are not filecontents.
> Don't forget that tables are "layout-oriented", but convey
> meaning by how the words are arranged relative to each
> other.

I don't forget it, tables are already on my list of things to find a
better way to markup - xtable
(http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/alcovebook/xtable/) is a
toy to play with ideas :)

Maybe people already noticed the way images are currently handled in
docbook is also on my list :)

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique