Re: Offtopic: EBNF equivelant for describing bitstreams

BigSmoke wrote:

> If there's not some meta-language to describe bitstreams, I'd appreciate any
> pointers on how to mark up this type of information in DocBook.
>
> The smallest bitstream blocks which I need to describe are one bit in size; I
> think that rules out EBNF.

EBNF is not tied to any particular representation of underlying language
(characters, bits, ...). If I remember it correctly from school years
you can describe any context free grammar with EBNF. So if structure of
your binary format can be described by context free grammar, you can use
EBNF.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz