Re: xref into another document?

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 12:13:20AM +0100, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Friday 27 December 2002 23:26, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> > Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > I'm using docbook-website to build my site and I'd like to create
> > > xrefs among pages. There's nothing special about website, so it
> > > comes down to creating xrefs into other documents.
> >
> > Website stylesheets can deal with olinks:
> >
> > You must at first declare external binary entity in internal subset:
> >
> > <!ENTITY software SYSTEM "software.xml" NDATA XML>
> >
> > and then reference it in olink:
> >
> > <olink targetdocent="software" localinfo="emacs">Install
> > Emacs</olink>
>
> Yes, I know, but that's not what I want to do. I would like to write
> something like
>
> <xref targetdocent="software" linkend="emacs"/>
>
> and have the stylesheet generate the link text as appropriate.

You want to use the new implementation of olinks in
the DocBook XSL stylesheets that
can generate link text from a link database that
has data for all the documents within a cross referencing scope.
The olink syntax would be:

<olink targetdoc="software" targetptr="emacs"/>

See:

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Olinking.html

You will have to extend the target collection process
to include your customization.  See the common/targets.xsl
stylesheet, in mode="olink.mode".

                                            email: bobs@sco.com